Friday, May 3, 2019



  YOU CAN GROW OLD GRACEFULLY

ARSENIO UNAJAN BAQUILID

         On my 77th birthday party last year I said I am old. My wife does not like the word old but suggested elderly. I search for meanings and found that old is when you reached 65 in your compulsory retirement from employment, while elderly also means being old or past middle age. In other words, their difference is not very clear and that   they are almost the same, e.g. their similarity is in the number of your years on earth is counting against your life time.

However, we must not consider growing old is a problem. There is a way of growing old gracefully. In the book of de Meath, he wrote that it is possible to remain happy as we grow older, to hold onto the freshness that gives youth its glow, to live without fear of growing old and helpless and make the most of the passing years. I agree to it as there is no reason for worrying about getting older; it is a reality and we cannot stop it. Thus, the advice of people with experience is to grow old gracefully.
My first advice is doing no change in your life-style; it’s too late and not easy to change. Continue doing what you did when you were not yet old. If you change drastically, it can be catastrophic. My life-style as a youngster, a student, and a professional was more of outdoor activities. Upon my retirement I change it to sedentary in nature. It was a disaster; I was sick, unhappy, went into depression, and almost killed myself. As a consequence I was forced to go back to outdoor activities. This time what I can afford physically and financially, are breast walking and gardening. These are good for the elderly. You do not need any expenses to do breast walking. But in gardening, I am just a little lucky to have acquired a little farm before my retirement. But you do not need a farm to do gardening. You just need a little space in your backyards. If your space is limited, you can do potted planting or aerial gardening. The culture of orchids is enjoyable and money-maker.  
My second advice is doing something you will enjoy. Virtually, we defer in what we enjoy. That depends on what hobbies you have developed in your younger days. For example, if your hobby is a bit sedentary, mix it with periodic exercise, e.g. after few minutes of working, you do body stretching, body bending, or scrubbing the floors.  Others enjoy cocking, hand embroidery, or cross-stitching. Aside from enjoying your old hobbies, they are money-makers too. In my case, my old hobbies are guitar playing and story writing. Thus, I play with my guitar to cast away boredom and, four days of the week I work with my computer. I write dissertations for a pay. But take note that the selection of your activities is dependent on your financial capability and physical ability. Then, choose an activity that fits to your condition. At old age your principle is “you work to enjoy”. It means that your primary purpose of working is to enjoy.    
My third advice is living to the fullest. Join family activities such as Sunday beaches or ball room dancing. They are not only ways of relaxing but also good for your health, e.g. to cast away your arthritis. Join family visits to spiritual, scenic spots or other outdoor adventurisms as they are equally enjoyable and satisfying. In my case, I climb with my family at Chocolate Hills of Carmen, Bohol, Calvary Hills of Tacloban City, and Fatima Hill of the Virgin Mother in Carmen, Bohol. I have chosen them for reasons of affordability and proximity.
But let me summarize how to live to the fullest in few words…Do not think of the past or the future. Adopt the “here and now” concept of life. Be contented on what you have and enjoy what you are doing right now. Don’t ask for more because you had been given what’s enough for you. Somebody said: “If you do not get what you like, you have to like what you get.” In fact, a person should be happy and grateful you had reached old age; many never had the chance. ■

   



No comments:

Post a Comment